What Toxins Are Lurking in Your Cleaning Products?

April 12, 2018 2:31 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

Your goal is to make your space shine. You want a clean and healthy environment for yourself and your family. With this end in mind, you attempt to use the best cleaning products on the market on your furniture and floors. There’s just one problem: those products for house cleaning in Fort Wayne, IN may contain toxins.

Read on to learn more about the ABC’s of toxins and learn whether or not they are lurking in the products you use to clean your home:

  • Ammonia: This common ingredient is often found in window cleaners as well as polishing products for sinks and fixtures. It works well for streak removal, but it can also be toxic. It is a potent irritant and is particularly dangerous for those who have asthma or other breathing problems. Over time, it can cause the development of issues such as bronchitis or asthma. If you mix it with bleach, ammonia becomes a poisonous gas.
  • 2-butoxyethanol: Have you ever caught a whiff of a window cleaner? If you detected a sweet aroma, you were probably smelling 2-butoxyethanol. It is a powerful solvent, which makes it great to cut through the grime on those panes; however, it can also be toxic. This substance can cause sore throats and can contribute to liver and kidney damage. In other words, it smells a lot sweeter than it is!
  • Chlorine: This is found in a variety of cleaning products, including laundry whiteners, toilet cleaners and mildew removers. The jobs these products do require tough solutions to achieve the clean results you desire, so it’s understandable that they contain chlorine. However, you must be careful with this substance. You may be exposing your lungs and skin to a dangerous toxin. Inhaled, it is a respiratory irritant. If you are exposed to it over time, it may disrupt your thyroid function.
  • Diethanolamine: This toxin is found in polishers and other cleaners (as well as cosmetic products). If inhaled, diethanolamine can irritate the nose and throat. If it touches the skin, it can irritate this as well. Animal studies indicate long-term exposure can affect the central nervous system and the liver and kidneys.
  • Sodium hydroxide: If you don’t clean your oven regularly, the baked-on crust can be hard to remove. Many turn to this strong corrosive to do the job. Sodium hydroxide is also found in drain cleaners. If you use this substance, be careful. It can cause intense burns. Getting it on your skin or in your eyes is dangerous. Inhaling sodium hydroxide is also harmful, causing a sore throat that may linger for a few days.

To avoid exposure to cleaning products that could cause harm, leave this job to the pros. The experts at Pro Clean Building Services, Inc. know which substances are best to use for which jobs, and we will complete each cleaning project safely and efficiently. Why take the risk? Our technicians are ready to assist you with your house cleaning in Fort Wayne, IN today. Contact us to schedule your next cleaning!

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *